Director of Finance
Our client, located in the Waterville, Maine area, is seeking a Director of Finance to join their leadership team.
The Director of Finance is responsible for planning and directing all aspects of the Finance department. Specific responsibilities include partnering with the leadership team, finance personnel management, budgets, financial systems, and strategic planning.
Successful candidates will have experience within a company that handles warehousing, packaging and shipping. The ability to be both hands-on with financial analysis and work with leadership on strategic planning is key.
- Directing all aspects of accounting operations, overseeing all transactions related to general ledger, receivables, payables, payroll, and financial reporting.
- Be a major contributor to the overall Senior Management Teams leadership of the business/company.
- Analyzing the company's financial results with respect to profits, trends, costs, and compliance with budgets. Issue regular status and ad hoc reports to senior management and Board/F&A.
- Deliver strategic leadership for defining path to growth and profitability of the company and the establishment of an effective growth process and infrastructure. Develop collaborative working relationships within the organization and with vendors/cooperators in pursuit of the of the company’s overall business/financial goals.
- Prepare an annual budget; help to determine spending priorities to maximize business growth and operations, new customer capture, and retention of the existing customer; help to manage monthly expenses, analyzing variances and initiate corrective actions as needed.
- Work collaboratively across the organization to direct the resolution of complex cross-functional business process issues to avoid risks by identifying problems that critically impact business outcomes. Determine and set priorities, direct/help assign working teams to fix issues and set SOPs. (example: shipping, AR, CC Processing) Providing strategic guidance around capital financing options to support company growth needs and ESOP Planning-oversee ESOP-TPA relationship.
- Developing and coordinating all relationships with lending/financial institutions, Insurance provider or other vendors and ensuring compliance.
- Developing and maintaining all necessary accounting policies and systems, including general ledger and financial reporting. Ensuring that records are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Oversee contract bookkeeper.
- Assisting senior management in financial planning and results management. Work with other team members to understand revenue and cost drivers and define appropriate reports for tracking. Develop Business Unit P&L reports as needed.
- Coordinating, preparing, and reviewing monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Managing all tax planning and compliance with all required federal, state, local, payroll, property, and other applicable taxes.
- Managing cash flow.
- Defines finance side project requirements by identifying project milestones, phases, and elements; forming project team; establishing project budget.
- Directly supervise a staff of employees and through strong recruiting, training, and coaching improve the productivity and effectiveness of the team.
- Providing reports to users at various levels including: KPI’s, business reviews, daily sales, profitability, performance, budget, expenses, compensation, finance forecasting, wages w/Planning win/loss, headcount, KPI’s, business reviews and ad hoc reports on requests.
- Coordinate and oversee all financial annual audits, valuation work and ESOP Trustee requirements.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting/Finance or related field.
- MBA or CPA preferred, with 7 years of relevant experience.
Qualifications & Skills
- In-depth understanding of Financial metrics.
- Demonstrated experience with financial systems.
- Ability to maintain proper GAAP practices and procedures.
- Background in corporate finance in a high-growth environment.
- Experience with ESOP is preferred.
- Analytical and creative problem solver.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to build consensus/function as part of a team.
- High attention to detail.