Our client, a real estate investment firm, is seeking a Controller to add to their growing team.
This role is an excellent opportunity for a motivated applicant to take responsibility for leading the accounting and reporting functions of the firm. The role will position the ideal candidate to have real impact on company results and has the potential for strong career growth and earnings through company expansion and through participation in performance-based incentives. The Controller will oversee a team tasked with performing all day-to-day accounting and finance tasks, regular reporting, investor distributions and communications, and coordination of tax reporting. They will also support budgeting and forecasting, provide support for strategic decisions through quality analytics, and play a role in supporting acquisition & development activities. The controller will also be responsible for identifying and rolling out appropriate tools and processes to support these various responsibilities.
The Controller reports to the Chief Financial Officer and manages a team of 4-6 professionals.
- Oversee accounting and finance functions for the firm and the various real estate syndications (LLCs) for which the firm has management oversight.
- Ensure the financial records accurately reflect transactions entered into by the company and are recorded in compliance with company policies, and applicable laws.
- Be an inspirational leader and help develop and mentor the team.
- Oversee cash planning for the firm and various syndications,
- Support the financial reporting team with the technical positions and with the review of technical accounting memos and related analyses. Research complex issues as necessary.
- Manage the documentation and implementation of internal controls for financial reporting
- Optimize the reporting cycle, from shortening the close cycle, to reporting financial statements.
- Partner with other leadership functions to support insightful analysis of results and financial implications of strategic choices.
- Ensure information systems are adequate for the volume and complexity of transactions as well as for analyzing financial data and improving control processes.
- Advise and partner with key stakeholders in connection with strategic transactions (i.e. acquisitions, and divestitures) and new business ventures including performing due diligence and valuations as required.
- Keep up to date on emerging technology and leading practices to develop strategies that are innovative and drive efficiency
Acquisitions / Financings / Due Diligence Responsibilities:
- Support underwriting of new investments
- Assist with acquisition and lender due diligence.
- Assist with investor communications, and document and funds collection.
- Assist with creation of investment memorandums for capital raising process (debt and equity).
- Assist with financing strategies and review of loan documents.
Knowledge, Experience, Educational Requirements:
- Relevant finance/accounting experience focus on private equity, multifamily assets, or other directly applicable experience
- Must have expert demonstrated knowledge and proficiency of MS Office system computer software, particularly Excel.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, real estate, or a related field, CPA preferred
- Completion of education and training in related real estate industry courses preferred
Additional Skills, Abilities, and Characteristics Required:
- Owner mind-set and entrepreneurial attitude.
- Familiarity with Yardi, Juniper Square or other industry software is a plus
- Excellent project management skills and ability to proficiently manage multiple ongoing projects.
- Highly analytical thinking with demonstrated talent for identifying, scrutinizing, improving, and streamlining complex work processes.
- Ability to manage volatile workload and prioritize appropriately.
- Ability to work well and collaborate with others.
- Solid understanding of real estate and partnership finance and accounting.
- Extremely detail oriented and self-motivated.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, both informal and in presentation.
Successful candidates thrive in a fun, energetic, creative environment with a dynamic business model.
Compensation will include a base salary plus performance-based incentive.
ProSearch is proud to be an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, creed, gender/sex, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal laws.