Our client, based in Portland, Maine, is seeking an experienced Director of Human Resources to plan and oversee all HR functions. The Director of Human Resources will participate in establishing and implementing strategy and provide leadership for human capital and organizational development matters. Responsible for a Human Resources business plan that delivers a diverse and engaged workforce capable of executing on strategic goals. Ensures that human resource activities are conducted in accordance with established policies and governmental regulations and support an inclusive workplace culture. Develop and lead Human Resources team members. Is also responsible for participating in the development of relationships in the communities the organization serves.
- Leads the Human Resources team in the delivery of consultative and transactional services for all lines of business. Develops HR team members; provides opportunities for learning and growth, offers guidance when needed; and coordinates team member assignments in execution of the HR business plan.
- Responsible for creating and executing on an annual HR business plan that supports the strategic goals through workforce development, talent management, employee appreciation and recognition programs and effective compensation and benefit practices.
- Responsible for the salary and benefits operating budget forecast.
- Serves as management liaison to the Board of Director’s Administration Committee.
- Oversees recruitment services; ensures that hiring and selection practices are inclusive, and that job screening and recruitment activities consistently result in a qualified workforce. Provides consultation regarding staff promotions, change of job assignments, or transfers.
- Promotes new employee onboarding that accelerates workforce readiness and acclimation and enables the utilization of available resources.
- Oversees all internal learning and development initiatives; prioritizes design and delivery of programs based on the strategic goals and workforce needs. Reviews external training opportunities for applicability and recommends for individual learning plans when appropriate.
- Responsible for a leadership development program that effectively feeds the organizations succession plan; guides the succession planning process.
- Provides consultation regarding change management best practices for implementation of new policies and procedures, technology implementations, structure changes and other types of organizational change.
- Oversees the compensation program, including the development of job descriptions, compensation analysis, executive compensation, and administration of an annual performance review and merit process.
- Oversees the administration of benefit programs; reviews efficacy of third-party relationships annually or as needed; ensures benefit offerings are market competitive.
- Promotes employee health and wellness via support of and recommendations to the Wellness Committee.
- Responds to employee relations issues; conducts investigations as needed and addresses issues via facilitated conversations and/or performance improvement plans.
- Ensures employment terminations adhere with policies, procedures, and applicable employment laws and, when appropriate, after coaching and opportunities for performance improvement have occurred.
- Oversees the implementation of the Affirmative Action Plan and related goals and also ensures compliance with related federal and state legislation.
- Develops, implements, and updates HR policies and procedures as needed, and ensures that changes to procedures are communicated to management and staff. Provides advice and interpretation regarding HR policies and procedures as they relate to individuals and to objectives.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of and ensures compliance with federal and state banking, employment and other labor laws and regulations, and ensures adherence to policies and procedures.
- Keeps abreast of trends and developments in Human Resources.
- Participates in local community events and/or obtains membership in local organizations.
- Manages vendor relationships as needed.
- Performs miscellaneous responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration or related program and a minimum 7 years of experience in the management of HR functions; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstration of core leadership competencies: Builds Effective Teams, Communicates Effectively, Develops Talent, Drives Engagement, Ensures Accountability, Instills Trust, Manages Ambiguity and Strategic Mindset.
- In-depth understanding of human dynamics, organizational behavior, change management, cohesive team building, problem-solving and continuous improvement methodology.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and facilitation skills. Ability to design and deliver programs for learning and development.
- Experience with compensation and benefit programs and knowledge of their impact on employment branding and talent retention.
- Highly collaborative work style. Ability to form strong partnerships in pursuit of strategic goals.
- Thorough knowledge of employment laws and regulations.
- Proficiency in MSWord, PowerPoint, and Excel; ability to learn Bank technology.
- Strong internal and external customer focus.