Our client, Good Shepherd Food Bank, is currently seeking a Sourcing Director to join their team who are committed to eliminating hunger in Maine. This position reports directly to the VP of Supply Chain.
- The Sourcing Director is responsible for achieving food acquisition goals for quantity, quality, nutritional content, partner need, cost, and variety by developing and maintaining innovative and effective programs, processes, and partnerships.
- A successful candidate will be able to lead the purchasing department, identify new food opportunities, and collaborate with cross-functional teams to add value for both the Food Bank and all of our stakeholders.
- This role is responsible for researching, cultivating, soliciting, and retaining donor or vendor relationships with farmers, wholesalers, manufacturers, distributors, retail grocers, and other industry partners.
- Work with our Community Partnership team in developing demand data from the network and incorporating that data into their sourcing strategy.
- Identify potential new vendors and sources for both donated and purchased items, evaluating vendor / donor ability to meet cost effectiveness, quality, and service requirements.
- Implement and oversee donor stewardship plans for all food donor partners.
- Analyze donor trends, staying current on local, regional, and national food industry trends and issues.
- Develop and manage annual departmental budget and work plans.
- Work collaboratively with Operations, Community Partnerships & all other Food Bank teams to ensure food acquisition strategies align with strategic direction.
- Maintain strong relationship with Feeding America food sourcing team, using Grocery Program platform to order or benchmark purchased items and freight costs.
- Identify inventory opportunities and proactively offer creative solutions.
- Support inventory turns, service levels, and disposals goals within budget.
- Purchase foods that will supplement donated inventory, and follow established nutrition policy guidelines, striving for culturally diverse/relevant offerings.
- Lead and manage assigned employees, providing a motivating work environment, overseeing performance management and coaching of employees; ensuring the development and completion of team and individual performance objectives plans.
- Ensure meaningful financial information, measurement, reporting, analysis and guidance is provided to facilitate decision-making.
- Develop and support the purchasing department.
- Review purchase orders for placement with vendors, maintaining business relationships with vendors.
- Evaluate program performance and make data-driven adjustments in order to meet or exceed goals.
- Maintain knowledge of food safety, handling, and storage requirements.
- Attend food industry events, including trade shows, association meetings, and network conferences.
- Be an active participant of the Supply Chain Management Team.
- Versed in Procurement Strategies and Best Practices
- 5-7 years in procurement leadership and management roles
- Solid vendor management background and experience
- Proactive, result oriented, with a can-do attitude in meeting critical deadlines
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to interpret data and develop action plans
- Solid business and financial acumen
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
- Proven ability to develop strong relationships externally & internally
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills
- Team player, flexible, able to adapt to change
- Leader with strong organizational and interpersonal skills; highly collaborative.
- Possess solid working knowledge of legal terminology and commercial terms.