Our client, a non-profit, member-led, health plan organization, is seeking an experienced Controller to add to their team.
The Controller develops and implements accounting policies, controls and reporting procedures and directs and manages the day-to-day financial activities. This role manages the accounting and financial reporting and budget functions. Additionally, the position oversees accounts receivable, accounts payable, treasury, tax, and audit.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the preparation of all financial statements, financial reports, tax returns and reports for regulatory agencies, including CCIIO, Bureau of Insurance, and IRS.
- Reviews quarterly and annual insurance company financial statements prepared in accordance with Maine Bureau of Insurance and NAIC statutory accounting principles along with reconciliations of the statutory-basis financial statements to generally accepted accounting principles.
- Reviews financial results with internal stakeholders as well as with the Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Maintains, monitors, and develops a documented system of accounting procedures, financial controls, and systems to ensure the integrity of the financials and to maximize the return on financial assets.
- Supports compliance with relevant federal and state laws and regulations, to include regulatory requirements which impact health care including CO-OP and Exchange rules and Bureau of Insurance regulations.
- Manages relationships with outside auditors and oversees annual audit and tax preparations and financial examinations.
- Manages relationship with IT, providing guidance around system testing, system implementations and enhancements as well as necessary processes and controls.
- Analyzes reinsurance activity and ensures compliance with statutory accounting principles.
- Develops and implements the annual budgeting process. Communicates budget guidelines/goals/timeline to all departments, reviewing required feedback and ensuring integrity and completeness of budget process output.
- Develops the budget summary for executive presentation and coordinates the Board of Directors approval.
- Coordinates preparation of multi-year forecast to include premium, claims, administrative expenses, and membership levels. Oversees preparation of balance sheet, income statement, equity and cash flow statements related to these forecasts.
- Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data, including comparisons of actual results to budgets and forecasts on a periodic basis, updates future forecasts, as necessary.
- Supports all areas of the company with financial analysis, data interpretation and recommendations to optimize performance.
- Maintains premium billing policies, procedures, and processes.
- Business owner of the company’s proprietary billing and premium application.
- Maintains financial staff job results by coaching and counseling, planning, monitoring, and appraising employee job results.
To have success within this organization, employees are expected to work with integrity, humility, strategic vision, curiosity, and discipline. They must be self-motivated professionals, highly effective and compassionate communicators, effectively working with people, work processes, and actively engaging in continuous process improvement.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting. MBA or CPA a plus.
- Three+ years of past Controller experience, yet receptive to a proven individual performing similar tasks and ready to make that next career step.
- Five+ years of experience in financial and business operations in an insurance or healthcare related field preferred, in a variety of accounting and/or finance roles of increasing responsibility.
- At least five years of proven people management experience.
- Willingness to get into the details, working together with accounting team members to deliver operationally, in addition to contributing to the overall strategy and direction of the business.
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and statutory accounting principles
- Ability to analyze complex data and manage simultaneous projects.
- Strong work ethic, efficient time management skills, excellent written and verbal communication, and presentation skills.
- Strong working knowledge of accounting, budgeting, system operations, and strategic planning.
- Knowledge of automated financial accounting and reporting and budget software packages. Oracle ERP and EPM a plus.
- Experience in the implementation of new vendor systems/modules and analysis of the implication of such systems on the accounting and reporting functions.
- Knowledge of ASO accounting and reporting a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications: Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Excellent opportunity to join a great team into a role open due to promotion and growth within the company!
Salary will depend on experience and includes full benefits.